Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Keeper Migration

Feeding a giraffe at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Animals aren't the only ones who migrate...keepers do too! I have left my keeper position at the Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park to take a seasonal position with the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

The Binghamton Zoo was an excellent place to begin my career: I learned about animal husbandry, operant conditioning (training), enrichment, safety protocols, and teamwork. I learned how to build a hay feeder, cut down a tree, shovel snow, and cement a termite mound. Most importantly, because the Binghamton Zoo is such a small facility, I received many opportunities I would not have had at a larger zoo. I was able to pick up new animals (like an Amur leopard and cinereous vulture) from airports and other zoos. I got to develop my own enrichment program using boat bumpers and then write an article about it for Animal Keepers' Forum. I got daily face-time with the director and curator of the zoo. I had input in new exhibit designs and new animals for the zoo's collection. I got to be the primary trainer for a red panda and two river otters. I got to lead tours, behind-the-scenes events, and keeper talks with the education department. And I even got to work with all of the animals and keepers in the zoo, which helped me focus my career path.

Leaving the Binghamton Zoo was hard, but I am very excited to start my new career at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. San Diego Zoo Global is made up of three facilities: the Zoo, Safari Park, and Institute for Conservation Research. The San Diego Zoo was founded in 1916 and the Safari Park was founded in 1969 as a breeding facility. I will be a photo safari tour guide for caravan safaris. These safaris go into the field exhibits and guests will have an opportunity to feed giraffes and rhinos while I give a tour. I'm so excited to be with large African mammals at this incredible park. For those of you who know how much I love elephants, I now get to see elephants every day! I can't wait to spend the summer in the sunshine teaching the public about the Park and conservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment